07 October, 2007

Holy Spaces and a new church

My mom and I visited a new church when she came to visit in August, and I realized so much that I've been missing my church in Luxembourg.

Today, the girls decided to go with me to "the organ church" because of communion. It's World Communion Sunday, according to the Methodists, so in honor of that, they invited the choir from a Korean church. The ladies were wearing traditional dresses, and they all looked so beautiful.

After church, the girls and I went up to look at the organ. It has three keyboards (I've forgotten what they are called as a group, besides their individual names: Great, Swell, and Choir), and at least 3 octaves of pedals. The pipes and the trumpets are so beautiful, along with the really beautiful windows in that church.

A history of the project, some good photos, and specifications on the organ are on the Milnar Organ site.

Pictures of the sanctuary windows are on the First United Methodist of Murfreesboro site on their Photographs page.

In Sunday school one day at the Assembly of God church we had been (or still are?) attending, one of the ladies was saying that it was disgusting to look at all the opulence of the European cathedrals, especially in the Vatican. I think she's wrong. I think there is something to be said for holy spaces. Solomon's temple was filled with holy and opulent things. The tent of the tabernacle as well. I think that the concept of a holy space is entirely Biblical, and it makes me sad when churches have no regard for this concept at all. It's nice to be in a church again that understands the idea. Is it too much to have stained glass windows and a pipe organ if that makes the sanctuary a holy space and helps lead us all toward God? I think it's exactly the right idea.

Hopefully, we'll make it to choir practice next Sunday.

It's just so amazing to have this church in the middle of nowhere in Tennessee. I'm really starting to feel more at home.

No comments: