22 November, 2005

Lessons in Packing (Trade Secrets Revealed)

From my husband's blog:

After six months of living in Luxembourg, we finally have our things from the States. Part of the delay was an argument over whether or not we would have to pay for an extra large shipping container. Now that we are opening boxes, the problem is very clear. Most of the boxes that were packed by the "professionals" were only half full. For the large wardrobe boxes, that means 10-15 sq. feet per box. I know, "Contents packed by weight. Some settling may have occurred during shipping." No wonder our load was almost too big for a forty foot container!

Before this move, I thought that I was unqualified to pack for an ocean move. Now I know all the moving trade secrets. I hope they do not sue me for letting out all the secrets. It is probably a very select few who ever learn those secrets. I will now divulge those very secrets. There is some packing school somewhere that I will put out of business by divulging those secrets on my blog. Do not be surprised if they sue me and make me dismantle my blog. I am not afraid. I will proclaim the moving secrets so all who need them will have the knowledge to pack their own things or even start a moving company. Are you ready? Make sure you follow them very carefully or I cannot be held liable for any malfeasance that may arise as a consequence. (Or is that malapropism? Yes, I'm dangerous with a dictionary.)

Here they are: Get big box. Throw stuff in box. Tape box.

I know this may start a revolution of people packing for themselves. Yes, some movers may lose their jobs, but knowledge for the people is more important. Don't worry about me. Just use this knowledge in your next move. Give this useful information to friends and family. The spread of this knowledge will validate my life. My name may be recorded in history, if not, the revolution which I have begun will live and expand until the end of this very world. People will be set free to pack for themselves. That freedom will be enjoyed by relocators across the globe and for countless generations. That legacy is greater than that which any man could dream, any man could strive, or any man could hope.

And other advantage we have over the professionals. We wash our hands. Of course, packed dishes should always be washed, but it motivates us even more after we noticed that some of the packers were not washing their hands after visiting the restroom. All those germs are probably dead after such a long time in transit, but the thought of it makes us want to clean.

No comments: